Of course I’m playing the latest World of Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor. It’s great and I love it. But when I get busy I’m not out in Draenor very much. Instead, I log on briefly and put my followers on missions, do a little crafting, a little mining, a little herbing. I end up spending most of my logged in time in my garrison.
I love my garrison. Even if the request in the tweet at the bottom of this post didn’t happen. I love the followers and their missions and having one follow me around (since I have a barracks.) Here are my garrison buildings:
- Engineering Works: Because I’m an engineer.
- Gem Boutique: Because when I couldn’t decide what to build next, my mom said jewelcrafting can be lucrative. I’m not taking full advantage of that. I’m not making items to sell on the AH. I’m curious – are any of you making gold from crafted goods right now? But I do the daily quest my assigned follower gives me, and that results in about 200-300 gold. I also made myself a 640 item level necklace, which I wore for a long time.
- Salvage Yard: More rewards from missions is good. But I’m a little overwhelmed by all the low level gear that drops from it. I never got into transmogging, even though I think I’d like it and want to. There’s just so much choice, so I’m a little intimidated by that. When I get the gear from the salvage crates, I feel like I have to see how all of it looks on my cute little gnome. But I can’t keep it all of course, so I sell it, but then I have an uneasy feeling – what if that one piece would look great with something else? I think I have the hang of it now though. I got a few pieces of the Lightdrinker set, and I decided to just collect those.
- Lumber Mill: This was key in the beginning, but I may ditch it now that I have little need of it, and I’m not out in the world questing and gathering lumber as much. On the other hand, if Blizz releases new Garrison content, I’ll need those resources! Undecided on what to do with this right now.
- Barracks: The barracks allow a few key things I really like: 5 more active followers, ability to change the race of your garrison guards (mine are gnomes of course), and being able to have a follower come with me in Draenor, which makes doing the Apexis daily easier. I’m not taking full advantage though – I only have 22 followers. Looking forward to finding time to get more.
- Stables: I agonized over the decision to build this or the Gnomish Gearworks. The Gearworks seems like an obvious choice from a role-playing perspective, since I’m a gnome engineer. And I’m tempted by the glider contraptions that I think give a treasure-hunting advantage? But the Stables won me over with the perk of being able to interact with items while still mounted and the level 3 perk of a mount speed boost.
- Barn: I built this early on, then I realized I needed a Lumber Mill instead, then built the Barn again as my garrison leveled and the slot opened. I want to like it, but it’s not my favorite. I still haven’t leveled it to 3, which has the perk I wanted the most – getting the savage bloods. I don’t like the farming it entails. It’s probably the right amount of work for reward, but it really is just work that I don’t enjoy. And there’s no animals in it! Totally my bad for not looking it up before hand, but I thought it would look more like the Stable. A nice place with animals that I could humanely kill now and then. Instead I gotta go out and trap them in a tortuous device. OH WELL WHO AM KIDDING I’M KEEPING IT
- Pet Menagerie: I don’t have it! I don’t have any level 25 pets yet. I got into pet battles though over the holidays and I hope to fix this situation soon.
- Mine: I used this heavily early on. Leveled it quickly and visited every day. Now I go maybe once or twice a week when I drop off work orders. I am very tempted to drop mining as a profession.
- Garden: I don’t have much use for herbs, but I go here about as much as I go to the mine. I recently leveled it to 3, and I’m digging the fruit tree with it’s magical disappearing fruit.
EDIT: Just realized I left off the fishing hut, probably because fishing is the boringest. I haven’t done anything with my hut. Whenever I start to fish to complete the opening quest for it, my eyes glaze over.
All I want for Christmas is a Winter Veil tree in my garrison. @Warcraft
— Mary Varn (@maryvarn) December 9, 2014